Unable to access T-SQL components & An incompatible DacFx version is installed

After trying to view data from within Visual Studio to error messages appear:

Unable to access T-SQL components

An incompatible DacFx version is installed

Some might have seen this error before and the reason is quite simple. The installed Data-Tier Application Framework version and SQL Server Data Tools do not match the ones required by the database.

Just install the latest version from here:

SSDT: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/data/hh297027

DacFx: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35756

And everything is working fine again.

Update: 

Apparently the old link does not work any longer. This is the working download link for DacFx 2012. http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36842 

 

External Content Type does not appear in External Content Type Picker

Today I was working on some data integration issues and was creating a BDC model. So as always, I created the model, added a finder method and modeled my entity. Then I deployed the solution and tried to creating an external list to test my finder method. So far so good, but when opening the External Content Type Picker the following error appeared: External Content Types are not available. Contact your system administrator.

ExternalContentTypeNotFound

What is that? Did my deployment fail? I opened the BCS service application to check if the model was correctly deployed. But it was there. My next idea was that something with the permissions was wrong, but everything was as usual.

So, what could be wrong?  After a few minutes of staring onto the BDC model, I discovered it. My model was simply missing the specific finder method. After adding it, the external content type appeared in the picker. So, lesson learned for today: always add finder and specific finder method before deploying the model.

The default web application could not be determined.

Recently I was trying to deploy a BDC model to a SharePoint 2013 Farm. Creating the model was quite straight forward as known from the previous version. Then I hit Deploy and the deployment started. But suddenly this error appeared:

DeployFehler

This solution for this problem was so easy that it took a few minutes until I figured out what the problem was. The Feature.Template.xml file was not correctly prepared. I simply added

<Properties>
 	<Property Key='SiteUrl' Value='http://portal/' />
</Properties>

And that was it. The installation went without problems. For sure you have to replace ‘http://sharepoint’ with the url of your SharePoint.