Virtual Machines are more or less commodity for modern development environments. I have been very happy with VMWare Workstation for a long time. I have several SharePoint (and other) setups running and never had a problem.
Recently, I got the message
Not enough physical memory is available to power on this virtual machine with its configured settings.
whenever I tried to start a virtual machine. But my workstation had more than enough free memory available. Even restarting did not solve the problem. Google told me that a windows update could be the problem but I found only very old KB’s as potential causes.
By accident I stumbled upon a post that pointed to VMWare config.ini. Just add this line:
vmmon.disableHostParameters = "TRUE"
to the end of the file and VMWare starts working again. I am not exactly sure what the cause of the problem was, but at least I know how a workaround.